Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My first lament.

So, this is an incredible moment in history.  My first lament from Japan! Hard to believe it took three weeks but here it is.  SO i've been in language classes for about two and a half weeks and so far they've been going pretty well.  And they still are, BUT, it's so impossible i think my eyes brain might melt and end up coming out my nose.  Now don't get me wrong.  Some of it i understand and some of it i don't that's not the problem.  The problem comes when everything i know is something everyone else knows and everything i don't know is also something everyone else knows.  I'm sure it comes from their previous study or current studying habits that i just don't have, but it's still frustrating.  I just want to know and communicate the language.  I want to talk to people instead of being a typical japanese person who rides the trains in silence and gets off when their stop comes up!  I want this nation to be changed through the renewal of their minds with the knowledge of Christ Jesus, but how can i do that if they never hear it?!?!?!?  UGH!!!  SO frustrating!!!  

Although, He is blessing me in other ways beyond measure.  In high school i co
nsidered myself lucky to be the person that friends would come to when they were having difficulties and problems that they just wanted to talk out.  And since i've been in college i haven't been that person, for whatever reason.  But here i feel renewed with the trust that other VYMers and my roommate and other friends have shared with me.  I know it's not quite what i had back in high school but it's a step in the right direction.  I love, love, looooove listening to people and there are people here who talk to me!  It's such a blessing.  I want everyone who talks with me and tells me things that are bothering them, or just talks to talk that i love every second of it and i thank you for your friendship, no matter how distant we may be!!  

Oh!  And i have to tell you.  I had one of the most amazing weekends ever!!  hanging out in
 Exotic cafe's along the ponds of Ueno, 
going to a Japanese Oktoberfest, and sharing in a Passion Conference with 2000 other christians in Japan has filled my heart with love that is stored in every muscle and thought i have.  though the days are rough and the times are new, i know that everything works to the Lord's benefit and i rejoice in knowing that he wants to use me!!  Thank you Lord and use me as you will!!






p.s. after writing this i had an amazing experience on the train where  asked a girl her name: Monami and what kind of movies she liked and she told me she likes fantasy!!  God works wonders when we can't

6 comments:

Mom said...

Keep the blogs up. It really gives us a chance to know how you are really feeling. God will make you strong as you fight the battle with Satan and will give you the "words" to use as you witness for Him. Keep in mind Phil. 4:13 (our text for services this weekend and your brother's favorite verse). As always, your prayer warrior, MOM

AshleyEffken said...

I'm sorry that you're having trials with learning Japanese, but I'm so GLAD that part of your difficulty finds it's root in your desire to share Christ with the people of Japan! How wonderful to have your passion for the Cross and the salvation of these people run so deep!

I'm adding your language learning and your lament to my prayer list. Don't give up, don't allow laments to hinder you, but keep on pressing to your goal, which in this case is learning Japanese and pursuing opportunities to share the Truth of Christ's Cross with your neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Justin, Be patient, but work hard. Find others to practice with, get those index cards we talked about. It will come with hard work even if it isn't as fast as you want. Maybe part of this is to encourage you in your study habits. I love reading what you have to post. Wish I had more time to actually talk to you. My prayers for you continue as God uses you to reach the people of Japan who so need Christ. He will give you everything you need to do His work. Aunt Bev

Aunt Carole said...

Hi Justin,
Learning Japanese will be hard, but so is algebra. You made it through that. This too will come with lots of practice. Can you get books or music on CD at the library? I friend who learned Spanish said that really helped her. She even played it while she slept. God works in mysterios ways; he'll use you in ways you don't even realize.

I just listened to a story set in World War II. The soldiers wrote in their letters that they did not want to hear from home about how much they were missed and how worried folks were for them. They wanted to hear about every day life: What you had for dinner, what you saw on the bus, what movie you saw last. This helped them focus on the life they were fighting to protect. Would you like to here about every day life back in the good old USA? Or do you want us to write about our pride in the job you are doing; the prayers we are offering up on your behalf?
Aunt Carole

astera said...

Hey Justin,

Is it okay if I read your blog? You can read mine too!

Pamela

Justin Kumfer said...

Absolutley Paim!