Thursday, September 25, 2008

Cultural Enlightenment

As my roommate takes his first nap of our journey i decided to write my first blog from Japan.  As i'm sure you're expecting it's sooooo much different here than it is in the United states.  Oh, and yes, we made it safely and are all set up for the adventures to come.  Anyways, I love this place and the culture here.  Their history matched with their modernization creates an amazing dynamic that i think people often miss because they focus too often on one or the other.  But let's start with what i've been up to.

My first day her the thing i noticed most were the trains....holy cow the trains!!!   everywhere is gotten to through train travel.  I've decided i don't like the trains a whole lot because no one says anything.  people travel hundred of miles by train and no one says anything.  And on a more serious note; you can see how lost and hurting people are when you watch them on the trains.  there have been two different times in the last two days where i have prayed that the Lord help these people because you can just see the hurt in their faces and it breaks my heart.  Speaking of trains i love being taller than most of the people here because that means i get air conditioning and fresh air from my extreme vantage point.  Even one of the american girls here remarked how tall me and my roommate Matt are.  

Another thing that i found astonishing about being here are the vending machines.  There is a vending machine on nearly every corner.  They sell tea, coffee, and my personal favorite: Diet Coke!!   However, with as many vending machines as they have there are very few garbage cans.  They recycle a lot but their recycling and garbage cans are few and far between.

Moving on to living, Matt and myself live in the seminary dorms called Luther House.  We live with two seminarians for a total of four of us in a house.  I love living here because it's quiet and there is a woman who makes us breakfast every morning.  This is good because with the way money goes right now i'll need the free meal.  Right near us is an amazing park that Matt and  discovered and explored today!  And they have one of the greatest ice cream flavors i have ever tasted: Cantaloupe!!  Although here it's called Hokkaido meron.  And one of the koolest things i've noticed here in Japan is that while no one really has a yard there is so much green.  The landscape is beautiful and the buildings just seem to fit in some how like the island is living in and around the buildings.  It's so beautiful.  Also today we applied for our Alien Identification cards which will allow us to get bank accounts and prove that we are who we say we are.  I love the food here, however, the only thing i cannot bring myself to eat is Tofu (sorry Megan, it's not good!).  

We also toured the church where we will be receiving our language classes and the area around Chiyoda.  Meeting the staff there was one of the most awkward experiences of my life, although they tried and i think it was more us americans that felt out of place.  Yet we did get a nice giggle out of Katrina who thought it was hysterical.  I'm excited to meet the rest of the VYMers who are here.  I think they will be a big encouragement.

Well that's enough for now.  I'll post pictures soon and if you want to know more you can facebook, skype, or AIM me and talk whenever i'm available. 

Prayer List:

1.  People of Japan that their loneliness and despair can be cured with the love of God.
2.  Me so that i can find my way around the city and not miss home as much.
3.  My fellow VYMers that we may encourage one another and support each other with the love of Christ.
4.  My friends and family back home who are struggling with my absence.
5.  The work God intends to be done in Japan so that i can help to further that to His ultimate glory.

More to come...

3 comments:

Mom said...

Hey

This blog site is great to keep up with you. I enjoyed the description of what's going on. What kind of food do you get for breakfast? What do you have to do for the other meals? How long will it take for you to become an official "alien"? We always wondered about you and now we will have proof that you are from some other world. Love you lots and miss you as well but am taking encouragement in the knowledge you are where God wants you to be and are doing His work. Happy Birthday (are you getting tired of me telling you that yet?) Love, Mom

Mom said...

i enjoyed your slide show and it was great talking to you. I'll get the glitches worked out. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Justin, Thanks for the pictures of your dorm. I want to know how long the "clean" bathroom stays that way or does the lady who fixes you breakfast clean for you (ya, right). What is the food like? Do they dub the TV shows so you can understand them? I know you are keeping busy and God has great things in store for you. It's so exciting but sometimes difficult to put everything into His hands. I'm going to try to hook up my Skype and camera later today so I can talk to you soon. Love you lots and am so proud of the way in which you have chosen to serve our Lord. He will indeed bless you and your efforts as you minister to the people of Japan in His name.
Love, Aunt Bev