Monday, September 29, 2008

Way too much to tell...

As the soft rain falls in the background i find myself trying hard to summarize the last few days.  It's hard to believe i've been here for less than a week and i already have a life time of experiences.  Well anyways this past weekend was one of the greatest of my life.  On saturday Matt and I spent the day with my new friend Kanako who took us around the city.  We visited so many kool shops and and places to eat.  some of both you can see in the new pictures i added.  The last place we went to on saturday was named Harajuku.  This apparently was a huge fashion place, makes you wonder why i was there but just wait, where Kanako bought Matt and i t-shirts.  Matt's says samurai or warrior and mine says, "Me." pure and simple.  (I told you you'd see why i was there.)  After touring the city for awhile we went to lunch at this Japanese pasta place which was good.  But the best part of the day was when we went to this plum wine restaurant.  We sat on the baclony and had one of the most amazing views i have ever seen.  for about a day it was the greatest view i had ever seen but that was before Rappongi.

Anyways on sunday we went to church at St. Paul's International Lutheran church for both the english and Japanese service.  Even though i was so lost in the Japanese service i still enjoyed it.  And afterwards when we were introduced to the congregation they blessed us with Japanese hymnals.  In Japanese of course, so i cannot wait to learn how to read mine. :P  After wards we went to lunch with Yukie and Carol, a fellow VYMer, at an Indian restaurant.  Following lunch we went and toured a portion of the emperor's gardens.  It's so beautiful in Japan you can't imagine.  OH!  I forgot to tell you that before we went to church Matt and I, having gotten to church over an hour early, toured a shinto temple just down the road from St. Paul's.  I felt so sad that such beauty and time is wasted on a belief that is meaningless.  

LAter on sunday Kanako, our amazing tour guide, took us all, me, Matt, Kim, and lauren, to Rappongi.  this is apparently the international center of Tokyo.  After having tea, we went to a spot where we were going to see a nice view of Tokyo, however, we discovered that there was a sky aquarium in one of the taler buildings so we went there instead.   Let me tell you, the view from this building was the greatest i have ever seen, especially at night.  I wish my pictures had turned out better so you could understand but you'll have to accept my feeble attempts to capture the beauty of Tokyo.  

ANd now today, on our day off we spent time with Matt's friend from the lutheran college here in tokyo.  We rode lots of trains and went bowling here.  i didn't know they had bowling here but they do and it was a blast.  it was here that Matt's friends became my friends also.  After bowling we had dinner at an Outback Steakhouse, I know right?!?!  Outback in Japan, but here it is and it was one of the most fun nights i have had.  I'll never forget the time spent with (sorry if i spell their names wrong but how are you guys gonna know anyways.) Matt, erika, Seiko, Shoko, Maika, and Youskei.  They even surprised Matt, Youskei, and myself with birthday greetings, since our birthdays are all in September.  They even gave us all picture frames with pictures of our group.  I feel so blesed to be accepted so quickly into a group of amazing people.  God has truly been with me here in Japan and i cannot have chosen a better place to serve the Lord.  Till next time with hope in Christ.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I enjoy reading your blog. You write so well. However, mostly because it reassures me you are no longer so lonely. I also can tell you are committed to the work you are doing for the Lord. I can't wait to see this amazing place in a couple years. I shared your blog with your dad as well. Thanks for all the new pictures.